Sunday, June 20, 2010

Sophies Soup

I love Sophie Dahls cookery programme on the BBC and when I saw her make a delicious tomato soup I knew I had to give it a try. The recipe is so easy.
Simply roast the following ingredients in the oven for 40-50 minutes:
2kg/4½lbs large ripe plum tomatoes(halved)
2 large red onions (peeled & quartered)
1 garlic bulb (cut in half horizontally)
a few sprigs fresh thyme
1 tbsp golden caster sugar
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
and a little salt and pepper .
Take it out of the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before mashing the garlic with the back of a fork & and discarding the skin.
Then blend and pulse everything together until smooth.
Pour the soup into a large saucepan and a little Worcestershire sauce or balsamic vinegar before heating up.
This quantity was plenty for 6 bowls of soup.
I had some this evening with some multigrain bread from the avoca shop and it was simply delicious.

I also want to quickly mention a wonderful film that I went to see last night.
'His and Hers'is a documentary featuring 70 Irish females from little girls to old ladies talking about the significant men in their lives. It is so simply sweet and charming. I absoutley loved it.

1 comment:

Mrs. M. said...

Yum! I got this book too, but haven't tried any of the recipes yet. Did you watch this on BBC2? I only ask because I really like James Wong whose program was on directly after Sophie...he does Grow Your Own Drugs, I got his book too...I liked that hour of tv on Tuesday nights! He does natural remedies & treatments...I thought that would be something you'd like x