Sunday, November 28, 2010

A Vegetable Tagine

Yesterday morning when I opened the curtains the ground was covered by a blanket of white snow. It was the perfect day to stay indoors and cook up a warming vegetable tagine.


I chopped 2 red onions, 4 cloves of garlic, 1 butternut squash and 2 peppers into small pieces. I also grated 2 carrots. I then sauted the onions over a low heat for 5 minutes before adding the garlic and continued to saute for a further 5 minutes. I then added the grated carrots & cooked for 5 minutes before adding the chopped peppers and squash and cooked for a further 5 minutes. It was them time to add 2 tins of chopped tomatoes, 1 tin of chickpeas, a little salt and pepper plus some cumin, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, cinammon and lots of chilli powder(I like it nice and spicy!). I then covered and left to cook on a low heat for 20 minutes.  I seved with brown price and garnished with some chopped parsley.

This made a huge pot of tagine (enough for 6 people). I thought it was really yummy and also very healthy. It took quite a while to prepare and make this dish & the butternut squash was quite difficult to chop but I have plenty left over which I will freeze and appreciate again soon.

No comments: